How to open a GDAX account as a pre-existing Coinbase customer
This article is for customers that already have a Coinbase account who also want a GDAX account. If you do not have a Coinbase account but would like a GDAX account, please follow the steps here. Please note that if you have a personal Coinbase account but want to create an institutional GDAX account, we require you to "Create Account" at www.gdax.com and use a new login email not associated with your personal account.
GDAX leverages Coinbase’s proven infrastructure to securely store funds and private information. This also simplifies the GDAX sign up process because you won’t need to provide us with information you’ve already given to Coinbase.
However, because GDAX has higher identity verification requirements, you may still asked to provide further information during account creation.
Steps to create a GDAX account
- Visit www.gdax.com
- Click on the "Sign In" button.
- You will be taken to a Coinbase.com hosted page.
- Sign in using your Coinbase.com email address and password.
- a) If you have already verified a phone number with Coinbase, then you will be prompted to enter the Coinbase 2-Step Verification code. See here for help with 2-Step Verification.
b) If you have not yet verified a phone number, then you will be asked to enter one.
- You may be asked to verify your identity, depending on which verifications you have previously completed in your Coinbase account. See here for help with Identity Verification.
- If GDAX supports trading with your region’s local currency (currently USD, GBP, or EUR), then you will have the option to link your bank and fund your trading account. Alternately, you can skip this step and fund your account with BTC or ETH. Learn more about depositing funds to GDAX.